Bringing your healthcare rights to Spain

If you are in Spain, you may need to access our world class health service.

Short term access for non-residents

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will enable you to access the necessary state-provided healthcare in Spain at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free when on a temporary stay. The Spanish health authority determines what treatment is considered necessary and cannot wait until your return to the UK.

The EHIC also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions, although it does not cover you if you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment.

The EHIC also covers you for routine maternity care provided the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth.

Accessing Spanish health care

You have the right to access the Spanish health service in the following cases:

  • If you work and pay social security contributions in Spain
  • If you are in receipt of a Spanish state pension or benefit
  • If you are in receipt of an EU long term sickness benefit or state pension (for almost all EU countries)
  • If you are in receipt of Spanish unemployment benefit (even if this has now been stopped)
  • If you hold a Spanish residency certificate issued before April 24, 2012
  • If you are an EU posted worker in Spain

Even if you aren’t covered by any of the above eventualities, if you have Spanish long term permanent residency (National Police green card) you may still be eligible.

If you do not have the right to Spanish free health care, you can still access the system via the pay-in health care insurance scheme, where you pay for medical insurance from the State.

How we can help

Cervantes Alarcón Consulting will advise you as to your best option depending upon your circumstances. We will supply you with the documents we need from your home country depending upon your chosen entry route and will register you with the Spanish authorities.

Contact Us with your requirements and we’ll start the process. You don’t need to come to our offices for this, we can sort it over the internet.