Official bank holiday dates for 2018
The State Gazette has published the official list of Spanish bank holidays for 2018, and here’s the summary of what we get off.
There will be a total of 12 bank holidays celebrated across the nation, in addition to those specific to each region, province and town.
Of these 12, nine are national celebrations that can’t be altered by the regions. They are:
- Monday January 1
- Friday March 30 (Easter Friday)
- Tuesday May 1 (Labour Day)
- Wednesday August 15 (Assumption of the Virgin)
- Friday October 12 (National day of Spain)
- Thursday November 1 (All Saint’s Day)
- Thursday December 6 (Day of the Constitution)
- Saturday December 8 (Immaculate Conception)
- Tuesday December 25 (Christmas Day)
The regions are allowed to set three holidays themselves.
No region has requested to alter January 6, so that is also a national bank holiday this year.
The other dates vary depending upon the whim of the different regions. For example, March 19 is a holiday in Murcia and Valencian region but not anywhere else. March 29 is a holiday in all regions with exception of Cantabria and Cataluña.
Here’s the complete list of regional holidays:
- 28 February: Día de Andalucía.
- 1 March: Día de las Islas Baleares
- 2 April (Easter Monday): Baleares, Cataluñan Comunidad Valenciana, Navarra y País Vasco.
- 23 April (St George): Aragón & Fiesta de Castilla y León
- 2 May: Día de la Comunidad de Madrid
- 17 May: Día de las Letras Gallegas
- 30 May: Día de Canarias
- 31 May: Día de Castilla-La Mancha
- 9 June: Día de la Región de Murcia y de la Rioja
- 25 July: Día Nacional de Galicia
- 28 July: Día de Cantabria
- 22 August: Aid El Kebir & Eidul Adha in the cities of Melilla y Ceuta.
- 2 September: Día de Ceuta
- 8 September: Día de Asturias y de Extremadura
- 11 September: Fiesta Nacional de Cataluña
- 15 September: Cantabria
- 9 October: Comunidad Valenciana
- 26 December: Cataluña
The complete list of the twelve bank holidays for Andalucía (excepting local holidays unique to each town, see below) is thus:
- January 1, 6
- February 28
- March 29,30
- May 1
- August 15
- October 12
- November 1
- December 6,8,25
A puente is a linking day between the weekend and an official holiday. So Monday 30 will be a day off for many workers as Tuesday May 1 is a holiday. Those in Madrid get an extra day, as May 2 is a regional holiday there. Many workers will take December Friday 7 off, as it falls between Thursday 6 and Saturday 9.
Note that bank holidays that fall on a Saturday are not reassigned – only holidays that fall on a Sunday are moved to a normal working day.
Every town has the right to designate two days to be local holidays. The list for Almería province has yet to be published.