Insurance claims after the recent heavy storms – practical advice

The recent heavy rain storms in Almeria province have caused massive losses to homes and businesses.

If you have been affected by flooding over the last few days, be aware that your normal insurance company will not be dealing with your claim.

Instead, this will be covered by the Spanish Insurance Consortium. However, the Consortium is not currently dealing with most claims due to high winds, which must be dealt with by your normal insurance company.

The Consortium acts in effect as a catastrophe insurer for certain types of insurance and perils in respect of Spanish risks, compensating losses from extraordinary events. In Spain every insurance company pays a percentage of the premiums to this Consortium, which is owned by the State, and in case of catastrophe they are answerable for the damages.

Please note that if you do not hold a current home insurance policy that is paid and up to date or you do not have a policy in Spain i.e. you have one taken it out in another country, you cannot make a claim with the Consortium.

If you have been affected by the heavy rains, make an inventory of everything that is damaged, adding to the list the value of the lost items and photos of everything. To claim your indemnification from the Spanish Consortium is not complicated, but non Spanish speakers will experience difficulties with the language barrier, so you should need an Spanish speaker or to ask for the help of a professional such as ourselves to start with the process for the claim.

The telephone number to claim on is 902 222 665 or click here for their English language website.

Before making the phone call, have the following information in front of you:

  • the full name of the insurance policyholder,
  • Insurance company name and policy number,
  • NIE number,
  • full address,
  • bank account details ( the same one where you pay your insurance) or alternate payment methods.

Once the claim is open they will give you a claim reference number and they will let you know what documents you should have ready for when the loss adjuster comes (he will make a separate appointment to visit). Normally you will need your current insurance policy schedule and a copy of the last insurance receipt that you paid, together with a bank account in the name of the policyholder. Please note that if you pay the insurance through the bank, the last receipt of the payment is sufficient.

Also take and provide photos of all the damages before you repair or clean anything.
You need documentary evidence of the damage.

If you are experiencing problems or are unsure on the next steps to take, you can take advantage of our service to help you. Contact us today for more information.

Maria Luisa

María Luisa Cervantes is a chartered accountant who graduated from the University of Granada in 2002. Founder of Cervantes Alarcón Consulting, she is an experienced accountant and financial advisor who is a member of the Almería guild of economists. With more than 15 years of experience in business administration and international trade, she is also a subject matter expert in the UK - Spanish bilateral agreements which cover the rights of expats to live, work and retire in Spain.